Logging In to MyMedicare.gov
Last Updated : 06/07/20184min read
As a Medicare beneficiary, you are welcome to use MyMedicare.gov to do such tasks as:
- Track your personal health information
- View and print a list of your current prescription medications
- Take advantage of the Blue Button’s useful features
- Access Medicare publications
You need to set up an account to log in to MyMedicare.gov, but that’s easy. Read on to learn about MyMedicare.gov – what it is, how to log in, and how it may help you manage your health care.
Logging into MyMedicare.gov the first time
Before creating an account on MyMedicare.gov and using the Blue Button, you might want to have your red, white, and blue Medicare card available. You’ll need the information on the card when you set up your account.
Start by signing up for a new account.
- Click on the text that says, “Create an Account.” MyMedicare.gov displays a registration page.
- Fill in your Medicare number, name, date of birth, and the other information that the online form requests. Note that you must fill in the fields marked with asterisks (*). If you leave any of these fields blank, you can’t create an account to log in to MyMedicare.gov.
- Look over the information you’ve entered to make sure it’s right. When you’re ready to proceed, click on the checkboxes at the bottom of the page and click Continue.
- Follow all the steps as prompted by Medicare.gov. When you get to the step where you create a username and password, you might want to keep that information in a safe place. At the same time, don’t make it too easy for hackers to get it; for example, it may not be a good idea to email the information to a loved one.
How to find your effective date for Medicare Part A
Your red, white, and blue Medicare card shows your “effective date” for Medicare Part A. If you’ve lost your Medicare card, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can go to the SSA website, visit a local Social Security office, or call the agency at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users can call 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM.
What you can do with the Blue Button and other features on MyMedicare.gov
Once you log in to MyMedicare.gov, you can access your Medicare-related information, and more. For example, you can:
- Use the Blue Button to download your personal health information to a device, such as your smartphone, or to your computer or tablet.
- View your Medicare plan enrollment information for Medicare Advantage plans and stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans.
- Find your Part B deductible and how much you’ve already paid of it.
- View a list of your prescription drugs.
- Print your own personal health information at any time to carry with you to a medical provider.
- View other important Medicare information that is relevant to your personal benefits.
- View claims as they get processed
As you can see, MyMedicare.gov gives you a convenient way to manage and access both Medicare and health information online. Registered members may also print off or download information to keep in their files or deliver to a provider.
What to do if you have problems accessing
If you are having trouble accessing the MyMedicare.gov website or with any part of the registration process, you can call for free technical assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week (except on federal holidays): 1-877-607-9663 or 1-877-486-2048 for TTY users. You can also use the Live Chat feature to “chat” with MyMedicare.gov’s technical support team online.
You are also welcome to call the main Medicare support number. This number is 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227), or 1-877-486-2048 for TTY users. You can call the main Medicare number 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
Do you have questions about local Medicare plan options?
MyMedicare.gov offers a convenient way to view and manage personal Medicare benefits online. If you could use some help figuring out which Medicare plan options might meet your needs, I want to help you.
- Click “Compare Plans” to research local Medicare plans online.