New to Aetna? Here’s What You Need to Know
This article was updated on: 10/21/2018
If you’ve recently enrolled in an Aetna Medicare plan, this information will help you understand the enrollment process and how to get the most out of your new plan.
When will I get information about my Aetna Medicare plan?
After you enroll in a Medicare Supplement, Medicare Advantage, or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan with Aetna, you’ll receive a letter with plan information, usually about 14 days from the time the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) approves your enrollment in the plan.
You’ll also receive the following information about your Aetna Medicare plan:
- An Aetna Medicareplan ID card. This is your plan membership card. Use this card (not your red-white, and blue Original Medicare card) when you access health-care services for your Aetna Medicare plan. You may need to show your Medicare ID card along with the Aetna membership card for your Medicare Supplement and/or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (depending on the type of services you need).
- Evidence of Coverage (EOC) document. This is a detailed description of your Aetna Medicareplan benefits, including what is covered and what your costs may be. If your plan includes a formulary (list of covered prescription drugs), that will be attached, as well. Remember, the formulary may change at any time; your Aetna Medicare plan will notify you if needed.
- Owner’s manual. This is a useful booklet with tips on making the most of your plan benefits and advice for saving money on your health-care costs.
Aetna will also contact you by phone or mail to go over your health history and health-care needs. This will not affect your plan choice or benefits.
How do I pay my Aetna Medicare plan premiums?
Remember, you’ll continue to pay your Part B premiums when you enroll in an Aetna Medicare plan; some plans, however, also include an additional monthly premium for your Aetna Medicare plan coverage. If this applies to your plan, you will be billed for your premium every month. You have the option to pay your monthly premiums by mail or through direct transfer (contact Aetna for more information on setting up automatic payments). Depending on when you applied, you may receive your first bill before your plan’s effective date.
What happens when I use my Aetna Medicare plan benefits?
In addition to an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statement, which will be mailed to you whenever Aetna reimburses a health-care provider for your care, you will also receive a convenient monthly summary to help you track your health-care costs. You can opt to view this online. This summary will show you:
- What claims Aetna paid on your behalf
- Your share (if any) and the plan’s share of costs
- Your expense totals for both the month and the year-to-date
Is there anything else I need to do to use my Aetna Medicare plan?
It’s a good idea to register for an account on Aetna’s member website. You can use this site to:
- Find a doctor or other health-care provider that your Aetna plan accepts (if your plan has a provider network).
- Get cost estimates for your care.
- View your claims.
- Request new plan ID cards if your card is lost or stolen.
If you need help finding a doctor, you can use Aetna’s online tool to see a list of providers in your area.
If you need information about your rights under the Medicare program or have a question about your benefits or other issues, you can use
As you can see, Aetna offers many member tools to help you make the most of your coverage. Would you like to learn more about Aetna Medicare plan options that may fit your needs? To get started, just click on the Aetna page to learn more about Aetna Medicare coverage and compare plans.
*Aetna complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, free language assistance services are available. Visit our website at www.aetnamedicare.com or call the phone number listed in this material.
ESPAÑOL (SPANISH): ATENCIÓN: Si usted habla español, se encuentran disponibles servicios gratuitos de asistencia de idiomas. Visite nuestro sitio web en www.aetnamedicare.com o llame al número de teléfono que se indica en este material.
繁體中文 (CHINESE): 請注意：如果您說中文，您可以獲得免費的語言協助服務。請造訪我們的網站www.aetnamedicare.com 或致電本材料中所列的電話號碼。