Do Coventry Medicare Plans Cover Routine Dental?
This article was updated on: 08/16/2017
Under Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), there is no coverage for routine or preventive dental care services, such as routine exams, cleanings, extractions, or dental appliances. In some situations, Medicare may cover certain dental services if they are part of a covered procedure, such as medically necessary treatment for serious injuries, diseases, and medical conditions that affect the teeth, gums, and jaw. However, for most routine dental services, you’ll have to pay for this cost out of pocket under Original Medicare unless you have other coverage.
If you’re a Medicare beneficiary looking for help with dental costs, another option may be to enroll in a Coventry Medicare Advantage plan, which may include benefits beyond the Original Medicare program, including routine dental care. Here’s what you need to know about dental coverage under a Coventry Medicare plan.
How can I get Medicare coverage for routine dental care?
Even though there is no provision for routine dental coverage under the Original Medicare program, Medicare-approved private insurance companies, such as Coventry, may choose to offer additional benefits to enrollees, which may include dental benefits. The Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) program lets you get your Original Medicare benefits through a Medicare Advantage plan. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in Part A and Part B, live in the service area of a Medicare Advantage plan, and not have end-stage renal disease (with some exceptions).
Coventry Medicare Advantage plans provide beneficiaries with an alternative way to get the same Original Medicare benefits (except for hospice care, which is still covered under Part A), while giving them the option to get additional coverage such as:
- Coverage for prescription drugs
- Coverage for hearing services or hearing aids
- Coverage for routine eye exams and prescription eyewear
- Wellness program benefits
Depending on where you live, some Coventry Medicare Advantage plans may offer coverage for preventive and routine dental care, which may include:
- Annual exams, cleanings, and polishing
- Dental X-rays
- Scaling and minor periodontal services
- Fillings and restorations, including crowns and bridges
What else should I know about Medicare dental coverage with a Coventry Medicare Advantage plan?
Not all Coventry Medicare Advantage plans are available in all areas, and not all plans include dental coverage. Plans and benefits may vary depending on where you live, so always double check with the specific plan you’re interested in.
You must still pay your Part B premiums each month if you enroll in a Coventry Medicare Advantage plan, and there may be an additional monthly premium based on the plan you choose. Premiums may vary from place to place.
Depending on the plan you select, your Coventry Medicare Advantage plan may include restrictions and requirements for accessing your Medicare dental coverage, such as:
- You may be required to use Coventry’s network of dental providers in order to use your benefits, or your out-of-pocket costs may be higher if you go out of network for your care.
- Your plan may require copayments, coinsurance, and/or a deductible with your dental coverage.
- Some plans may place an annual cap on how much they will pay toward your dental care.
- Some dental services may be excluded from coverage depending on the plan you select. Check the plan materials for more information.
As you can see, Medicare Advantage benefits may vary by plan, and it is a good idea to browse and compare options in your area if you’re interested in dental coverage.
- To learn more about Coventry Medicare options, take a look at the Coventry page.
- If you’d like to find Medicare plan options that may cover routine dental services, click the Find Plans button on this page to start browsing.
- For one-on-one assistance with your questions, feel free to give us a call to reach me or another licensed insurance agent.
Call a licensed insurance agent to learn about Coventry Medicare plans at 1-844-847-2659, TTY users 711; Monday through Friday, 8AM to 8PM ET.
*Aetna complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, free language assistance services are available. Visit our website at www.aetnamedicare.com or call the phone number listed in this material.
ESPAÑOL (SPANISH): ATENCIÓN: Si usted habla español, se encuentran disponibles servicios gratuitos de asistencia de idiomas. Visite nuestro sitio web en www.aetnamedicare.com o llame al número de teléfono que se indica en este material.
繁體中文 (CHINESE): 請注意：如果您說中文，您可以獲得免費的語言協助服務。請造訪我們的網站www.aetnamedicare.com 或致電本材料中所列的電話號碼
TTY users 711
Plans and Save
Our shoppers found an average saving of $961/year*
Can’t Find the Answer You’re Looking For?
- Talk to a Licensed Insurance Agent
- TTY Users 711
- Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm ET