Does Medicare Cover Amaryl?
Last Updated : 09/10/20184 min read
If you have type 2 diabetes, your doctor may prescribe Amaryl (generic name glimepiride) to help you control your blood sugar, according to the National Institutes of Health’s Medline Plus website. Glimepiride is usually used in combination with diet, exercise, and other prescription medications in diabetes treatment; it works by helping the body produce more insulin and use it more efficiently.
Amaryl is generally not covered by Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), but you may be able to get coverage for prescription drugs under Medicare Part D.
How can I get Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage for Amaryl?
Enrolling in Medicare Part D coverage for prescription drugs is voluntary; however, you might want to enroll as soon as you are eligible for Medicare to avoid paying a late enrollment penalty with your monthly premium for as long as you have coverage.
You can get Medicare prescription drug coverage in either of these ways:
- If you are enrolled in Original Medicare (Part A and/or Part B), you can enroll in a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan to supplement your coverage. Stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans are offered by private companies that contract with Medicare to offer these benefits.
- If you’re enrolled in Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), you may be able to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan. Available from private, Medicare-approved companies, Medicare Advantage plans cover all your Part A and Part B benefits (besides hospice care, which is still covered by Part A). Many Medicare Advantage plans include prescription drug coverage, and some include extra benefits like routine hearing care.
Keep in mind, however, that just because you’re enrolled in a Medicare plan that includes prescription drug coverage, your plan doesn’t necessarily cover Amaryl. Every Medicare plan that includes prescription drug coverage uses a formulary, or list of approved medications, to determine benefits. Each plan decides which medications will be covered, although they are required by Medicare rules to include commonly prescribed medications to treat a wide variety of illnesses and conditions. Plans may change their formularies occasionally, but you will receive notice from your plan when necessary.
If you take Amaryl or other medications to manage your diabetes, and you’d like to start comparing Medicare plan benefits, just click the Find Plans button on this page.
Is Medicare coverage for Amaryl better with a Medicare Advantage plan, or a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan?
Because plan benefits, premiums, and formularies vary depending on the Medicare plan you select, it’s impossible to say which offers the best coverage for Amaryl and diabetes in your particular situation. It may be a good idea to compare plan costs and benefits before you decide.
Some people with diabetes discover that Medicare Advantage plans with prescription drug coverage offer a convenient alternative to Original Medicare because they get all their Medicare benefits in one easy-to-manage plan. As noted above, Medicare Advantage plans must provide the same coverage as Original Medicare, except for hospice care, which is still covered under Part A, but they can also offer extra benefits that may be attractive to those being treated for diabetes, such as:
- Coverage for routine vision care and prescription eyewear
- Coverage for wellness programs
- Discounted gym memberships and other services
Of course, not every plan will have every extra benefit, and plan premiums and other out-of-pocket costs may vary. You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium plus any additional monthly premium required by your plan if you enroll in Medicare Advantage.
I’m available to help you find Medicare coverage options for Amaryl and your other diabetes treatment if you need assistance. You can request information via email or schedule a phone call at your convenience by clicking one of the links below. To see a list of plans in your area, click the Compare Plans or Find Plans button. You can also find out more about me by clicking the “View profile” link.