Medicare Supplement Plans in Louisiana
Last Updated : 10/12/20184 min read
Are you aware that a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana may save money on your Medicare costs? This may be especially important if you have health problems. Here’s a quick rundown on Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana.
Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana: why would you need one?
Many people get health problems as they get older.
For example, did you know that in Louisiana, over 29% of people between the ages of 65 and 74 have diabetes? That’s according to 2015 data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
But no matter what health problems you might have, a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana may pay some of your Medicare Part A and Part B out-of-pocket costs.
Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana: how do they work?
Here’s an overview of Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana. They work the same way nationwide.
- You have to be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B in order to buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana.
- You can see any doctor or specialist that accepts Medicare assignment in most cases.
- The purpose of a Medicare Supplement plan is to help pay for certain Medicare Part A and Part B out-of-pocket costs. We’ll list some of these costs later in this article.
- There are up to 10 Medicare Supplement plans available in Louisiana. They’re standardized so that each plan has the same basic benefits as any other plan of the same name.
- For example, let’s say you were looking at Medicare Supplement Plan G. You could live in New Orleans and your cousin could live in Baton Rouge. Plan G would include the same basic benefits in both cities and from any insurance companies that sell the plan.
- Even though every Medicare Supplement Plan G has the same basic benefits, one insurance company could charge more than another.
- These plans are sold by private insurance companies.
- Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana (and nationwide) are guaranteed renewable. That means that a plan can’t drop you unless you don’t pay your premiums, the plan goes bankrupt, or you lied on your application.
- Medicare Supplement plans sold today do not include prescription drug coverage. You can enroll in a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. Read about Medicare Part D.
Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana: when can you buy one?
It’s important to know that there may be few opportunities for you to apply for a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana with certainty that you’ll be accepted.
That’s why it’s usually best to buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period (OEP). This period starts the first month that you’re both age 65 or over and enrolled in Medicare Part B, and it continues for six months. No Medicare Supplement plan can charge you more or reject your application if you have a pre-existing health condition.
Even if your OEP is over, you can still apply for a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana. But in most cases, after your OEP, the insurance company can make decisions based on your medical condition and history. The company can charge you more for a health condition, or even decide not to accept your application.
You must be enrolled in both Medicare Part A and Part B to qualify.
There may be other times (besides your OEP) when you might have a guaranteed-issue right to buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Louisiana.
Want to check out the Medicare Supplement plans in your part of Louisiana? Just enter your ZIP code in the box on this page to get started.
Not every Medicare Supplement plan may be available in every part of Louisiana.
But plans of the same name might not cost the same. Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana typically have monthly premiums. Plans can use different pricing structures. This is true in other states as well.
Would you like some assistance comparing Medicare Supplement insurance plans? I’d be happy to help.
- Click the Find Plans or Compare Plans buttons on this page to start comparing Medicare Supplement plans.
- You can arrange for a phone call with me or ask me to email you customized information. Just follow the links below.
The product and service descriptions, if any, provided on these Medicare.com Web pages are not intended to constitute offers to sell or solicitations in connection with any product or service. All products are not available in all areas and are subject to applicable laws, rules, and regulations.