Medicare Supplement Plans in Utah

Tamera Jackson by Tamera Jackson | Licensed since 2007

This article was updated on: 11/01/2018

Are you getting ready for Medicare in Utah? Maybe you already have Medicare Part A and Part B, and you’re exploring ways to make your health care more affordable. For some people, Medicare Supplement plans in Utah may save money on Medicare costs. And you can usually see any doctor that accepts Medicare assignment.

How do Medicare Supplement plans in Utah work?

Before we dive into Medicare Supplement plans in Utah, let’s start with a quick mini-overview of Original Medicare, Part A and Part B.

Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. It generally covers most or all of your inpatient hospital costs, but only for a limited time. You’ll usually need to pay a deductible amount. If you’re in the hospital for a long time – especially more than 60 days during one benefit period – you typically pay a daily coinsurance amount. Extended hospital stays can cost you a lot of money.

Medicare Part B is medical insurance. For many services, Part B usually covers 80% of the costs and you pay the remaining 20% – but you’ll have to pay the annual Part B deductible first. If you see the doctor fairly often, or you have frequent lab tests and/or need medical equipment and supplies, your costs might climb pretty high.

That’s where Medicare Supplement plans in Utah come in. These plans work alongside Medicare Part A and Part B to cover at least portions of copayments, coinsurance amounts, and (with certain plans) deductibles. Some Medicare Supplement plans in Utah may help pay other costs as well. The same is true in other states.

For example, did you know that some Medicare Supplement plans in Utah may cover medical emergency costs outside the country? Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N may pay 80% of approved costs up to plan limits.

How do I know which Medicare Supplement plan in Utah may meet my needs?

There are up to 10 Medicare Supplement plans in Utah (and 46 other states). These plans are standardized with lettered names, such as Medicare Supplement Plan M. Out of all the benefits that standardized Medicare Supplement plans can have, each lettered plan has a specific set of basic benefits.

All 10 standardized Medicare Supplement plans in Utah generally cover at least part of these benefits:

  • Medicare Part A hospital inpatient coinsurance and certain other costs for up to 365 days after Medicare benefits have ended
  • Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments. (Medicare Supplement Plan N, you may have to pay up to $20 for certain office visits and up to $50 for certain emergency room care.
  • Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayments
  • The first three pints of blood, if needed (for example, for an operation)

Each standardized plan includes the same basic benefits no matter where you buy the plan. For example, a Medicare Supplement Plan M in Provo from one insurance company will have the same basic benefits as a Medicare Supplement Plan M from another company in Salt Lake City.

Take a look at this Medicare Supplement plan comparison chart, which tells you every plan’s basic benefits at a glance.

When can I buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Utah?

If you want to be certain that you’ll get a Medicare Supplement plan in Utah, you’ll probably want to buy it during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period (OEP). This is the period when you have a “guaranteed-issue right” to buy a plan. That means the insurance company can’t deny your application or charge you more if you’re in poor health.

Your OEP starts the month that you’re 65 or older and enrolled in Part B. It runs for six months. You can apply for a Medicare Supplement plan in Utah after your OEP ends, but the insurance company can consider your health condition(s) and charge you more, or even turn down your application. Read more about your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period.

Would you like to see what Medicare Supplement plans in Utah are available? Just click on the Find Plans button on this page. Or, if you prefer, use the links below to arrange a phone call with me or have me email you customized information.

The product and service descriptions, if any, provided on these Web pages are not intended to constitute offers to sell or solicitations in connection with any product or service. All products are not available in all areas and are subject to applicable laws, rules, and regulations.

Tamera Jackson |
View profile
Licensed Insurance Agent since 2007
1- 844-847-2659
TTY users 711
Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm ET

Compare Medicare
Plans and Save

Our shoppers found an average saving of $541/year*

Compare Plans

Can’t Find the Answer You’re Looking For?

  • saying Talk to a Licensed Insurance Agent
  • 1-844-847-2659
  • TTY Users 711
  • Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm ET

Licensed Insurance Agents

Let us help you learn more about your Medicare plan options

8.4 out of 10

9.1 out of 10

9.2 out of 10