Medicare Supplement Plans in Wyoming
Last Updated : 10/09/20184 min read
You may know that Wyoming is the least populated state in the U.S. according to the Census in 2010. However, if you’re a Medicare beneficiary in Wyoming, there still may be a variety of Medicare coverage options available to you including a Medicare Supplement plan in Wyoming.
Medicare Supplement plans are offered by private insurance companies and offer additional coverage for Medicare Part A and Part B.
Medicare Supplement plans only work with Original Medicare (Part A and Part B); you cannot use them together with Medicare Advantage.
Why would I want a Medicare Supplement plan in Wyoming?
Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) has no out-of-pocket maximum. That means that if you have a lot of doctor visits or face extensive hospitalization, you could face thousands of dollars of out-of-pocket costs.
A Medicare Supplement plan in Wyoming may relieve some of these costs by paying some or all of your coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles. However you will still generally be responsible for some other insurance costs, including the premium for the Medicare Supplement plan and the Medicare Part B premium.
What do Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming cover?
Medicare Supplement plans are standardized in Wyoming and named by letter: A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M and N. “Standardized” means that all plans of the same letter offer the same basic benefits, regardless of which private insurance company offers the plan. Once you identify which letter plan you want, the standardization can make it easy to shop.
Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming generally cover copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles for services covered by Original Medicare. Medicare Supplement plans generally don’t cover services not covered by Original Medicare including: prescription drugs, routine dental care, routine vision care and eyeglasses, or routine hearing care and hearing aids.
Here are some of the standard basic benefits Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming may generally cover:
- Hospital inpatient coinsurance under Medicare Part A up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits are used up (all plans cover this at 100%)
- Coinsurance or copayments under Medicare Part B (all plans cover this at least 50%)
- First three pints of blood per year if you need a transfusion (all plans cover this at least 50%)
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment (all plans cover this at least 50%)
- Coinsurance at skilled nursing care facilities under Part A (not all plans cover this)
- Part A deductible (not all plans cover this)
- Part B deductible (only plan F covers this)
- Part B excess charge (only plans F and G cover this)
- Foreign travel up to plan limits ( only 6 plans cover this)
Plans K and L provide out of pocket maximums. This means that the Medicare Supplement plan pays 100% of your covered services for the rest of the calendar year once you meet your out-of-pocket yearly limit and your Part B deductible.
This Medicare Supplement plan comparison chart may help you evaluate Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming.
What else should I know about Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming?
- The best time to buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Wyoming may be during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period (OEP). This 6-month timeframe starts the first month that you’re enrolled in Part B, and age 65 or older. This is the time when no insurance company can reject your application or charge you a higher premium based on your health problems.
If you try to buy a Medicare Supplement plan in Wyoming after your OEP is over, the insurance company can review your medical history and decide not to accept you as a member – or charge you more based on health problems. Medicare beneficiaries under 65 are generally not granted a Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period.
- Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming are guaranteed renewable. That means that once you have a plan, the insurance company can’t drop you if you develop a health problem. You may lose your coverage under other conditions, such as if you weren’t honest on your application, if you don’t pay your premiums, or if the plan goes bankrupt.
To start comparing Medicare Supplement plans in Wyoming right away, click the Find Plans button on this page.