Medicare and You Handbook
Last Updated : 08/29/20183 min read
If you’re enrolled in Medicare, you should be mailed a handbook called “Medicare & You” each fall. You should generally receive it in late September. This free handbook includes:
- A summary of Medicare benefits, rights and protections
- Lists of available health and prescription drug plans
- Answers to frequently asked questions about Medicare.
What specific information does Medicare & You cover?
The Medicare & You handbook is updated each year and may provide information on:
- How Medicare works and signing up for Medicare Part A and Part B
- Your different Medicare coverage options (Original Medicare vs. Medicare Advantage) and things to consider when choosing your Medicare coverage
- Enrollment information including Open Enrollment Periods for Medicare health (Medicare Advantage) and prescription drug plans
- What the different parts of Medicare (A, B, C, D) cover
- How Medicare works with other insurance
- How much Medicare Part A and Part B cost
- Finding out if Medicare covers your test, service, or item. For example, among many other topics, there might be sections on:
- Ambulance services
- Bone mass measurement
- Cardiovascular disease screenings
- Chiropractic services
- Diabetes screenings
- Durable medical equipment
- Home health services
- Laboratory services
- Mental health
- Physical therapy
- Urgent care
Medicare & You also has information on what is NOT covered by Medicare Part A and Part B.
- How Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Supplement work
- Information about Prescription Drug coverage (Medicare Part D) including
- The two ways to get Medicare prescription drug coverage
- When you can join, switch, or drop a Medicare prescription drug plan
- Factors influencing how much you will pay for a Medicare prescription drug plan
- How to get help paying your health and prescription drug costs
- Knowing your rights and protecting yourself from fraud including information on
- Filing an appeal
- Accessing your personal health information
- Protecting yourself from identity theft
- Where to get more information including
- Telephone numbers for each state’s State Health Insurance Assistance Programs
- How to get help in other languages
Can I get Medicare & You in different formats?
You can get the Medicare & You handbook in
- English PDF
- Spanish PDF
- Large print PDF
- Kindle, iPad, and eReader ebook
Medicare.gov also has links for audio version of Medicare & You. To get a braille or paper copy, call 1-800-Medicare 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in all time zones.
If you would prefer to permanently receive your copy of Medicare & You electronically you can request this at Mediare.gov. Go paperless here.
Keep in mind that the Medicare & You handbook is not the only source for this information. You can get many questions answered by searching on Medicare.gov or by calling 1-800-Medicare 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in all time zones.
Use the links below to arrange a phone call with me or have me email you customized information. You can compare Medicare Advantage plans right away by clicking the Find Plans button on this page.